Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Latreese Cooke: Taking back Texas' Stolen Children


Latreese Cooke and MEELJ

Kola's lecture at Emory was part of a larger National Herstory Conference of three Black women lecturers being featured at the Whitehead Biomedical Auditorium at Emory University. The crowd was relatively small but greatly invested in the issues brought forth by the speakers. When I entered the auditorium,  second speaker, Latreese Cooke, a Houston-based advocate who helps first time offenders or formerly-convicted people understand their responsibilities in receiving proper representation for their rights. She discussed the trials and tribulations of running her non-profit, MEELJ, as well as awnser questions regarding legal uncertainties with some audience member's relatives.


One topic she covered I hit myself for never even considering, like the emotional and mental condition of a person leaving prison 17 years after he goes in at age 16. He's learned how to be more violent, not just by inmates but by guards. He's spent 17 years under a strict routine that removed any sense of privacy we take for granted on the outside. His family welcomes him back and addresses him if he had not been in hell for 17 years. 17 years is a big chunk that you can't pretend is not missing. To disregard his mental state can be very harmful to him. If not dealt with appropriately he can react negatively. If we provide soldiers who've seen action mental health services, convicts who've served time need it as much. 

I also learned some random facts:
  • 95% of Black and hispanic youths 16-18 are in Federal Prison.
  • An ex-convict can vote in an election if s/he's completed parole, completed their sentence and has successfully re-entered society.
  • A person who worked in a crack warehouse has warehouse/assembly line experience.
  • Texaco Execs would never promote "Jigaboos" to corporate positions
  • The Houston Federal Courts Sentenced 200 Young offenders to 120 months in 24 hours.
  • There was no "youth prison crisis" in Texas until a white girl received a 10 year sentence for murder in 2006. 
  • Parades and Marches helps media outlets get ratings more than they help the people they supposedly support. (Is Troy Davis alive?)
And the most important fact: Courts are not willing to sentence black and hispanic offenders anywhere below 10 years, while their white counterparts get misdemeanor charges and community service.

Ms. Cooke does not help those who bid their time on the inside until they can commit more crime. She helps those who made made a mistake, survived among the truly incorrigible and yet still work hard to be part of the society that threw them away so easily. 

There's nothing we can do to change this system, but we can challenge it. Sometimes it helps by offering access to someone who has no access to it. Or just providing legal services to someone in need of it but with no clue where to find start looking for it. In response to an audience member's question, it didn't mater whether your lawyer was court ordered, it is the family or individual's responsibility to seek information that will help their loved one. It may not get them acquitted, but it will get them the right sentence that truly fits their crime, and lessens their time.




Update: Since I returned from my trip, further online research revealed websites, mostly conservative or republican, trying to expose Ms. Cooke' alleged criminal background.  What these sites refer to as "dark secrets" were not so secret to Ms. Cooke, as she honestly shared them with us with sincere and unapologetic honesty. What this woman is doing is a serious threat to those in power. And like those she helps to re-enter society, these people are using political tactics to destroy her reputation.
 -_-'


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Latreese Tabb Cooke Should be in prison. She has not improved her character and should not be TRUSTED. I can for a fact vouch that she doesn't pay rent and likes to manipulate people.

Latreese is trying to take advantage of some deaf individuals by renting out their house and not paying rent. So ironic how she's trying to be a community advocate. HYPOCRITE.

Unknown said...

Please provide some links or other information on Ms. Cooke's actions if you believe she is in guilty of what you allege. Your name would be a good start.

--RB

The REAL LatreeseC said...

Thanks to my daughter in New Jersey who googled me recently and read this because she told me she read all these GOOD THINGS but then saw this and was just horrified. I had NEVER seen this until now and felt COMPELLED to respond. @Roxie Benares-thanks. I don't know who you are but I appreciate your response to this because I believe that although SOCIAL MEDIA IS GOOD it also allows PEOPLE WITH OTHER AGENDAS to EXTORT MONEY, ITEMS OR commit character assassination to people who DO NOT deserve it.
IF I SHOULD BE IN PRISON, why would paying rent or not paying rent be a reason that I should? Since when did a DEBT be the CATALYST for sending somebody to prison pray tell?
You state I HAVEN'T IMPROVED MY CHARACTER, did I have a character flaw that needed to be improved? By whose standard? YOURS? Or the Burnt Orange Report--that has THEIR OWN internal integrity issues? I am unshaken by the hypocrisy of people who believe that by getting on social media outlets EMBELLISHING the truth for their own PERSONAL VENDETTAS is going to prohibit the work THAT I AM FULLY CAPABLE OF DOING, COMMITTED TO PROMOTING AND sacrificing MUCH to do so- will stop or be hindered. Every person you deal with is not guaranteed to be a positive experience and for that I make no apologies. Every relationship that you go into you should leave with that person being a better whatever; and that what I strive to do.
Whoever you are that says I took advantage of a deaf individual; I wonder if it is the same person that in a DRUNKEN STUPOR ran over the subdivision BRICK WALL AND HID THE CAR FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT and to this day has dodged charges? Could that be you? If you have anything you need from me I am not hidden, do not HESITATE to contact me personally. Otherwise as long as I am breathing, I will be trustworthy and UPFRONT about anything that concerns my business dealings because at this stage in the game? I am too vested in WHO'S I am to be worried about gossip and innuendo. Thanks, to my family, friends-Known and Unknown who support me and our mission. Happy 2014!

Unknown said...

Hello Ms. Cooke, I met you when you visited Emory University and spoke at the Black Women's conference there. I was initially there to see Kola Boof, but you were such a lucky surprise that I had to add you to my blog asap. Your work is too impotant.

The REAL LatreeseC said...

Hello, Karla! Hope all is well with you. Still pressing and striving towards change. Thanks for your kind words and a wonderful article and thoroughness of your research. Please send me your email address. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hello again Ms Cooke,
I'd rather not share my email address on my blog for obvious reasons, but feel free to safely contact me via my website's contact page (link below), and we can exchange info from there.
http://karhol.wix.com/gorgontransplant#!contact/czpl

I'm glad all you going well with you.

Karla

The REAL LatreeseC said...

@Karla Holland- I fully understand. I thought maybe you may have still had some contact information for me. I will get it to you today.