Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Kola Boof at Emory University: A BAP in Decatur


Sometimes in life you gotta dive in head first, and that's what I did when I learned Kola Boof was returning to give a lecture in Decatur, GA while I was temporarily unemployed. Gathering my savings, I booked a hotel and took a train down to Decatur.


I had arrived to my hotel a little early and had no room ready so I decided to walk around downtown to kill some time. As I took in the scenery, I could't help but think of B*A*P*S, a bizarre movie starring Halle Berry whose character lived in in the city. I try not to let this kind of thinking happen, but I have to admit B*A*P*S may have influenced my preconceptions. Nonetheless I was impressed by what I saw:




I wasn't sure whether the city made an overhaul since the film's 1997 release, or if Robert Townsend, the director and writer, just did a good job making the place look like shit.

Edit: Robert Townsend did not write the movie. Troy Beyer Bailey was the screenwriter.


No comments: