Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Zimmerman Verdict: United States of Abuse

  If the verdict of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman Trial has shown anything, it's that the that the "Stand Your Ground" law does not apply to black people (like Marissa Alexander) and justice as a concept in this nation hasn't been blind in centuries. Another of these implications, however, scares me the most.




Trayvon was killed for looking threatening as a young black male, but this country's black sons are not the only ones in danger.  I'm a tall girl -- Standing 6'0" (183 cm)-- and ever since I've reached that height  around puberty in I've learned that in some communities I was seen as threatening by those I towered over. And like a lot of brown-to dark-skinned black american girls, my relaxed expression is read as "bitchy" or simply walking is interpreted as an aggressive gesture. It didn't matter what I wore--A dress, jogging outfit, business suit-- someone thought I would hurt them. But I can't help it, I can't shrink. And I can't lighten my skin. And I cant spend the rest of my life watching how I move my body.  Of course that's the other person's problem, not mine, right? But wait--now that this verdict has pretty much given non-black Floridians the "A-Ok" to shoot anyone they feel is threatening them, meaning I now have to fear getting shot because some paranoid freak thinks the body God gave me is a sign of attack? Really?It was bad enough I had to continue shaping myself to meet another group's constantly shifting comfort level but I have to do so just to stay alive? I can't control how others see me but I will be damned if I have to die for it.

Again. (RIP Emmett)

Too many black women and girls are already dying by stray bullets and the murderous hands of their own men, are they to fear the paranoia of non-blacks as well?  Marissa used the SYG law to protect her family from the former, and now with her in jail, her children may end up vulnerable to the latter. Is there no safe place for the black woman?


I've had enough.


Florida will never see me or any of my progeny again.  And I hope other blacks follow suit. Any other state that chooses to adopt this horrible law will meet the same fate. I'm sure Maryland, the state where I learned about my "threatening" appearance, will probably be next. God knows I've seen many mental breakdowns in the black community there. Sadly if this sick disease of the "Stand Your Ground" law goes national, I will leave the country.

I have learned to leave abusive environments a long time ago and the US has never stopped abusing its black people. Well, now that it has Hispanics, Asians, Multiracial and other so-called "people of color" to fill it's diversity quota, perhaps it won't need black people to push around.  Seriously, USA, don't come at me with that "But you were born here" Bull "s" either. I may have been born here, but even family will abandon each other if the abuse is bad enough, and it is.



We can't bring Trayvon back, but we can get Marissa out. Justice for Marissa.
 http://justiceformarissa.blogspot.com/


Kola Boof Speaks on the Verdict:

http://www.kolaboof.com/engaged.htm


Petition to repeal the "Stand Your Ground" Law:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/563/278/407/?z00m=20594296

No comments: