Monday, March 7, 2011

Multi Degrees Of Kotter


Remember "Welcome Back Kotter?" my dad asked me one day. I did not, unfortunately. All I Knew about the show was an Travolta-hosted SNL skit that parodied it and "Resevoir Dogs."  I figured that Dad has his memories mixed up. Some time later Nick at Nite's TV land aired a marathon of "Welcome back Kotter" where I decided to check out the show my father mentioned. 

I got to enjoy what TV Tropes.org calls Retroactive Recognition for some of the stars and featured players. I got to see John Travolta in one of his television appearances. For other actors, I went to imdb and google to look for other projects they've completed. Freddie "Boom Boom Washington looked familiar but after my research, I realized that the actor, Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs, played Joe Jackson in the ABC miniseries "The Jacksons: An American Dream"  (which aired on BET nonstop after Michael's Death) . One episodes featured Vernee Watson-Johnson , a.k.a. Will smith's mother on "The fresh Prince of Bel Air". Another featured Richard Moll, whom I've known as "Bull Shannon" on Night Court. 

 The biggest surprise came from the actress playing Kotter's wife, Marsha Strassman . Apparently, she also played Rick Moranis' Wife in "Honey I shrunk the kids", an early childhood favorite of mine.

So in a contrived "six degrees" way, I did remember this show........sort of....maybe.

No comments: