Thursday, January 20, 2011

Can't tell you actors apart!



Like alot of people, I just learned that the guy playing Kato in the new Green Hornet movie is not Jon "Harold goes to White Castle" Cho as I assumed, but a Taiwanese pop Singer named Jay Chou. While Movieline and TV Tropes attributes this to the "all asians look alike" phenomenon, but I beg to differ.

While IMDb has no excuse for letting the misinformation go unchanged, there's another side to this that no one's discussing.  What's going on is a case of assumed recognition based on celebrities most often seen. Forgive me for the really old reference here, but I remember a similar case when "The Flintstones Movie" came out. Everyone I talked to assumed that the young actress that played "Pebbles" was one of the Olsen twins, since they were all over TGIF, when it was another set of twins  . Does that mean all little white girls look alike? IMDb has no excuse for their blunder but most TV/movie viewers should be given a break.

While we're on the subject, anyone noticed how interchangeable Estelle Atkins is with the Mowry twins?

No comments: