Monday, July 12, 2010

Bubble Boy sees the World

There's all kinds of ignorance, but there's something special about hte
kind that comes from someone who's traveled around the world yet never at
any time steps outside his perspective. I met a kid like that in my social
service class Community College. He bragged about being a Witness to the
Tianemen Square Massacre as a child in 1989, but when we had to work in
soup kitchens for an assignment, we discovered his weakness. Despite his
travels, the boy had never set foot inside a basic soup kitchen, serving or
mingling with the misfortunate ( or "unhoused" as the teacher called them
@_@.)As time went on, we also learned that he was unaware of any domestic
incidents, such as the first WTC bombing, the waco massacare or the
oklahoma city bombing ( the latter having its anniversary at the time). I'm
not sure if that ever taught him any humility, but it taught me something about experience.

I am reminded of him again in my new College as I encounter other young
travelers with more international miles but not as much sense regarding the
country of their birth. Every time I express with amazement at the new
experiences that I have in other states, the kid next to me ( who's used to
the area) looks at me like I'm sheltered. In reality if they experienced
the culture I'm used to they would react the same way. the point these kids
miss is that there is so much diversity in this nation that one can have a
different cultural experience by visiting a part of the US that's several
miles from their own.
Its not an excuse to avaiod traveling abroad, but why is it the only option
for having a new cultural experience?

No comments: